Have questions or an idea for a new feature? Post away...

Unguessable URLs for easy sharing

I don't want to make my photos public, but I definitely want to share specific photos or albums by sending a link in an email or in chat. This is a solved problem.

Picasaweb has a "link to this photo" or "link to this album" option on every applicable page. You can share the photo/album regardless of whether it is public or private by pasting the secure URL it generates. Here is an example URL:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G9Ktu9seDO_ezM2zEgwKir4ZqS4wpk7sCROeUSelOAU?feat=directlink
They also have the option to reset the secret URL for albums.

Flickr also has this feature, they call it a "Guest Pass".

Google docs has this as well... it is very useful and pretty common.

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Zack hamZack ham shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric SchultzEric Schultz commented  · 

Has this feature been added? The thing that bugs me most about Google+ photos (in fact, one of the only things but it totally kills G+ for me) is that I can't share photos with my parents or family friends because they don't have G+ accounts - and honestly, they aren't ever going to need or want G+ accounts!

• RobertRobert commented  · 

I'm really looking forward to use this feature, too

What I always had in mind as a user (receiving links from picasa) is, that links to different albums don't remember me.

What I want to have is, that I have one single link to openphoto, and openphoto knows, which albums/photos I'm allowed to see, even when I'm not a registered openphoto user

Feedback and Knowledge Base