Have questions or an idea for a new feature? Post away...

File system sync (scan), no import!

Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but I love the simplicity of the file system as storage backend for my pictures.
I store them on a NAS and I run Picasa and Photoshop.
I'd like openphoto to act as a frontend and my existing set of folders and pictures. It can automatically scan the file system and create thumbnails and keep in sync with FS changes.
I do not like the idea of having to import (and duplicate!) my pictures.
Thanks

359 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MarcoMarco shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam GleskeSam Gleske commented  · 

As a temporary measure one could store their photos in git. If you have the path of your normal photos and the openphoto storage location under the same child directory and check it all into git then git will deduplicate the photos since photos are store based on sha1 checksums.

Google git deduplication

e.g.
        /path/my_photos/
        /path/openphoto_storage

cd /path/
        git init
        git add .
        git commit -m "initial commit!"

• Karl RosenqvistKarl Rosenqvist commented  · 

Yeah, this is my problem to. To make things worse my photos are on the same server I have to run OpenPhoto from. Years of accumulated photographs in folders with a nice structure. I'll move it if I have to but I won't like it.

• Olivier BergerOlivier Berger commented  · 

It looks like using git-annex may help solve this issue of photos managed by openphoto in more or less the same place for all albums and the way users tend to organize them in their home folders...

Still, I have to check the details.

• Jon HowellJon Howell commented  · 

Yup, I'd like it too. I've spent the last day configuring, installing, and debugging web galleries, trying to find one that'll let me keep my originals (and let me inject metadata from shotwell, but I'm willing to write a script to do that).

Gallery3 has an optional module (folder_sync) that almost does what I want, but (a) it still copies every original, and (b) I don't like the resulting permission model (I can't mix public and private photos).

I just got openphoto configured (after doing a little battle with apache and mysql), but I'm sad to see that this is still a limitation. I'm with others on this list: I don't actually want to poke at the UI, I just want something that makes my personal photo collection, which I manage with other software, web-accessible.

• JmathaiAdminJmathai (Hacker, The OpenPhoto Project) commented  · 

@manut On upload the the original is stored along with a scaled version at 1280x1280 (aspect ratio maintained) and a 100x100 for the activity feed. All other sizes are generated (and cached) on request.

• manutmanut commented  · 

@Jmathai it's definetly sth. that can be hosted in a seperate repository.

I just had a look at openphotos db schema. it should be quiet easy to feed the database from a python script.

Are the scaled versions of the pictures generated during the upload process of openphoto, or will they be generated if i just add the path to the original picture into the database?

the link to your comment on github is dead.

I and many other users have organized their photos in a folder based structure for years. I understand, that it's much more comfortable to have tags and albums and all the photos can be kept at any location (folder on the filesystem, clout, etc.)

But I don't want, that openphoto is the only viewer I can use on this data. I don't want to use a specific tool to find any of my photos. A shell or file explorer is all I need at the moment and I don't wan't to change that.

I think it should be no big effort to make openphoto operating on a local file structure, instead of keeping all Images in one folder. Than a little scanner script, or something with inotify can detect changes on the filesystem and import the pictures automatically into openphoto.

I believe that many new users would try openphoto if this feature would be available.

• AllardsAllards commented  · 

I'd like to have this feature too, i even would like OpenPhoto to be able to scan multiple paths / services / folders.

• mcarrollemcarrolle commented  · 

I manage my photo without photo management software I use only folder.
        In case this feature will not be implemented, it will be great if we can choose a folder name (album name) to store uploaded photo in html/photo/original.

• JeffJeff commented  · 

@jmathai: did you ever have a discussion about this? Seems like an important feature given the promise OpenPhoto makes to allow you to store photos wherever you want. Why should users have to upload all their files to (yet another) server?

• Kwankyu Kwankyu commented  · 

I added 3 votes. I hope OpenPhoto to be something like picasa plus subsonic.

• MarcoMarco commented  · 

@Jmathai, I am not sure what you mean by download it on my behalf. But providing a URL that is a file system path to the API and having openphoto store just the picture location on disc sounds like what I want.
        Thanks

• JmathaiAdminJmathai (Hacker, The OpenPhoto Project) commented  · 

Adding this to the upload API in the next week :).

You will be able to provide a URL to the photo and the API will download it on your behalf. Does that address your request?

• MarcoMarco commented  · 

@Jmathai, thanks!
        I think the caveat though is how to avoid actually uploading (read copying) the picture which is already on the same disc. Is there an API to import a picture into the DB that bypasses uploading to the web server?
        Thanks

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base